• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

CPC EXAM..OTHER STUFF?

BeckyP

Currently studying for the CPC, is there any advice about the other stuff that is required to know...ie. The Business of Medicine, OIG Work Plan, RVU's???? I can grasp everything else but for some reason those sections are a mental block. Any advice? Thanks!!!!

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
My experience with the CPC (only took it once), tells me that if you know these topics at a high level, that will probably be sufficient. Yes, you need to know the basics.

For example, for the OIG Work plan...you would want to know a few facts:

• OIG stands for Office of Inspector General
  • OIG issues the OIG Work Plan in October each year
  • The work plan lists the priorities for the coming fiscal year as to what they are going to be looking for, such as compliance of medical necessity of services and reasonableness of certain medical practices
  • Regarding coding, the OIG lists the potential problem areas with claims submissions that it is going to investigate, for example E/M.
Take a look at the Work Plan for 2013:
https://oig.hhs.gov/reports-and-publications/archives/workplan/2013/Work-Plan-2013.pdf
You don't need to know the specifics!!!! but if you read the table of contents, you see that they are going to focus on compliance of various aspects of health care and reasonableness of certain practices.
Take 5 minutes and just look through the Table of Contents so you reinforce your understanding of what the Work Plan contains, and I'm betting you'll be able to answer the CPC Exam questions with confidence.

For the RVU's check out my post: https://www.cco.us/forum/threads/understanding-rbrvs.167/#post-317
Again, if you know what the terms mean you will most likely be able to answer the questions. I doubt if they will ask anything as complicated as the question in the post, but just try to work through it, for good measure.

Know your Medicare Parts, what an ABN is and why it is used, what HIPAA is, what covered entities are, etc. I think if you just review the chapter in your textbook that will be most helpful.

Other than that, take some practice tests!

Take a deep breath, and smile as you study. It will make you feel better! And if you feel better, your brain will cooperate.
Maybe that is what Laureen means when she says "Happy Studying!" :)

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
That is excellent advice Ruth. She really spelled it out there for you.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Alicia Scott covered HIPAA during the August 2014 Q&A Webinar. She covered the highlights of HIPAA (privacy protections and administrative simplification required of HHS to adopt national standards, and the types of HIPAA violations of which to be aware).

There will be some more topics dealing with the business of medicine during the next few webinars so you should definitely sign up for monthly webinars if this is an area that you want to learn more about. If you missed the webinar, it is a great idea to sign up for the CCO Club. That way you will get access to the recording of the webinar, conveniently divided into video clips by topic. You also get the transcript, answer sheets, and a chance to earn a CEU for the webinar by passing a 10 question quiz. Not only that, but you can access all the available resources for past webinars, too!